Happy New Year! Didn’t it just turn 2000? Yes, 22 years ago!
We’re into another new year with all the promise and expectations that come with turning the page from one year to the next.
While I like looking forward and planning for the new year, I first like to go back for one last check. How did I do on the goals I set for 2021?
- Get vaccinated against COVID Yup. Vaccinated and boosted
- See my boy in person, both here and in LA Yup 💗
- Continue to create compelling content for Daily Dose of Dr Marry & DD Yup
- Year 4 of (almost) no shopping Mostly. No unnecessary shopping
- Continue to bake bread and find interesting recipes Yup
- Conduct 10 Personal System Disruption weekend retreats with 8 people or more at each Nope. Nowhere close. Instead, I held four with 21 people
- Grow our Daily Dose audience significantly (100+ people tuning in regularly) Nope. Nowhere close
- Grow my daynadelval audience Yes, but not to where I would like it to be
- Work with a coach to continue honing my public speaking skills Yup. Two, in fact. Thanks to Laura Gassner Otting and Jess Buchanan for all the amazing work we did together in 2021
- Get our garden and yard into better shape Nope. But our friend John Z came to assess in the fall and will be back in the spring to provide more master gardening tips and tricks, so I’m certain this is the year the yard starts to take better shape
- Find someone who can help us better produce Daily Dose Not exactly. BUT, we worked with consultant Lillian Cotter on some of the content and upgraded to an external camera and new microphone as well as found the website StreamYard to do our #guestThursday conversations, all of which improved the quality tremendously
- Maybe go back to podcasting with e2 Nope, and that’s ok
- Continue to invest in my relationship with Dr Marry outside the bounds of Daily Dose YES. Cross Country Skiing, anyone? 💗
- Travel when we safely can Yes, but it’s still not very safe, so we cancelled our NYC trip right at the end of the year. Grrrrrrrrrr!
- Keep my overall health a priority Yes
- Get clear on who I am and who I’m for as a content creator, particularly of daynadelval Yes, all the time. Still a ways to go, but it’s the journey, not the destination… (I say over and over again to myself and anyone who happens to be standing anywhere near me)
Time to look forward.
I’m working on my word for the year. Last year was so easy for me: Clarity. In many ways that really was a guiding star. So what do I want for this year?
Nothing really stood out to me, so I looked at my new vision board I just made on my birthday earlier this week, and this word popped out: Root
I chose the phrase “returning to her roots” for my vision board in part because of the agricultural nature of my keynote talk, but I’ve always felt like I can weather storms because I have a solid foundation, which is the hidden part that gives what is visible strength.
I looked up basic definitions of the word root. I was surprised at how many different ways this word is used and that, with the exception of the literal base of a plant definition, they resonated for me and the work I am doing. Plus, did you know that Dr Marry is a PLANT cell wall biochemist? He’ll be so thrilled when he reads this!
Various definitions I’m keen on:
- establish deeply and firmly
- the basic cause, source or origin of something
- to encourage or lend moral support
- a means of anchorage and support
- the essential core
- to grow
- to turn over, dig up, or discover and bring to light
My goals for 2022 include:
- Establishing myself as an in demand professional speaker
- Being known as the originator and source of Personal Systems Disruption work
- Encouraging more people through retreats, writing and speaking
- Supporting those who have already taken the retreat through continued check ins
- Growing my audience through speaking, writing and podcasts
- Continuing to turn over and dig up my own life and helping others do it in their lives to bring their hopes and dreams to light, too
These aren’t easily measurable, but they speak to the essence of what I want to be and do next in my life. Some of them need to take deeper root and grow, some of them need to be planted for the first time. But all of them are coming from the core belief that this is the work I am meant to do with others in my remaining time on Earth.
What are your goals for 2022? What word or phrase resonates with you and why? If you’re stuck on identifying a word, try this clarifying worksheet. As I said at the start of 2020, it might not feel like it’s shedding light on anything immediately, but let it percolate a bit and see if you don’t hear something when you read it out loud that inspires you.
It’s a new year, and that gives you a great reason to think about and try new things, to set goals, to let go of limiting beliefs and to see what more you are capable of. Know that I’m right here, sharing the journey and rooting for you.